Enriching Primary Science is a collection of new activities that will provide science enrichment for primary children, in particular extending learning for the gifted and talented child
Written by John Senior and Angela Tuff
Enriching Primary Science offers challenging enrichment activities that aim to inspire more children to study science, encourage scientific literacy among all children, foster creativity with regard to scientific thinking and stimulate an informed debate among children about the application and direction that science takes in our increasingly complex society.
Enriching Primary Science will allow you to:
- enrich science lessons for all pupils and provide extension material that will challenge more able pupils
- improve pupils’ performance in this core subject by enriching the curriculum
- enhance pupils’ enjoyment of science and promote it as a subject for further study
- support whole-school improvement by raising standards in core subjects
- provide opportunities for pupils to expand their thinking skills through problem-solving and develop their social skills through teamwork
- improve pupils’ ability to self-direct their individual learning and help them to have fun and gain pleasure from thinking.
Enriching Primary Science contains more than 80 activities that can be used in the classroom to extend and enrich the experience of science in school for children, gifted or otherwise.
The activities in this book are presented in four main sections:
- Discovering science
- Lesson enrichment activities for KS1 – with activities that link to each topic covered in the curriculum
- Lesson enrichment activities for KS2 – with activities that link to each topic covered in the curriculum
- ‘Science club’ enrichment and extension activities
The Discovering science activities can be used for:
- 10-minute slots of available time
- lesson starters
- the basis for mini-projects
- curriculum areas such as literacy, numeracy, creativity and citizenship/PSHE.
The activities can be used to introduce ideas to children within a wide range of abilities. The challenges are as difficult as the child’s ability and enthusiasm allow.
Lesson enrichment activities
Both the KS1 and KS2 lesson activities are designed to complement and extend work done in lessons while lending themselves to longer projects. The ‘going further’ suggestions are intended to provide support for the development of creative and critical thinking, research skills and curiosity.
‘Science club’ enrichment and extension activities
These can be used as whole-day activities, for enrichment days, activities weeks or the occasional weekend course. The ‘Science club’ activities can also be used in sections to fit into a series of enrichment sessions if adapted.
The activities in this book will stretch a child’s thinking and provide a base for applying scientific training. The message children will understand is that science is intellectually challenging and exciting.
TO GET THE LATEST PRODUCT INFORMATION PLEASE VISIT OPTIMUS EDUCATION