The Emotional Curriculum for Early Teens KS3 is from the Teach to Inspire range, designed to give support to secondary school staff and provide a flexible and comprehensive approach to promoting the emotional literacy and wellbeing of KS3 early teens in their care
Written by Tina Rae and Patricia Black
The Emotional Curriculum for Early Teens KS3 and The Emotional Curriculum for Young Adults KS4 are designed to fulfil many objectives identified in the SEAL approach, specifically addressing many of the challenges and stresses encountered by today’s young people in both a social and an educational context.
Both resources provide user-friendly and engaging activities that will motivate staff and students alike. Sessions are broken down into short, achievable tasks that incorporate a range of learning styles:
- short activities
- problem cards and scenarios
- questions and closing evaluations/plenary.
Key skills focused upon include the following:
- managing feelings
- managing stress
- conflict resolution
- personal responsibility
- group dynamics.
The resources are accompanied by a CD-Rom that includes the evaluation and activity pages and resources. These vibrant, relevant resources are a ‘must have’ for schools that wish to ensure the
social and emotional wellbeing of their students.
Objectives of The Emotional Curriculum for Young Adults
The series of sessions has been designed to meet the following objectives:
- to further develop healthy initiatives and programmes that promote inclusive practice for those who present as being most at risk from mental ill-health
- to further develop the facilitator’s own awareness and understanding of the range of strategies used to effectively manage oneself and one’s emotions
- to promote good decision-making – that is, decisions that promote the students’ physical, mental and emotional wellbeing
- to create an awareness of the need to keep safe emotionally and physically and to develop the ability to appreciate the perspectives of others – that is, to develop empathy
- to help young adults to develop the ability to cope with the kinds of stresses that they meet
- on an everyday basis.
TO GET THE LATEST PRODUCT INFORMATION PLEASE VISIT OPTIMUS EDUCATION