Poems for children are extremely impactful in their learning and understanding of the beauty of writing. Through a supportive classroom, environment poems can provide students with the space to express themselves. 2nd-grade poems support social and emotional learning for students in the classroom. From a funny poem to a clever poem students will learn different ways of expressing feelings they may otherwise not understand.
Poetry for kids in 2nd grade is a way of teaching perspective to young readers. Incorporating different phonics activities, online activities and even a writing activity can help enhance student learning. This is why we've put together a collection of poems that will surely complement English language arts activities in your classroom.
1. Good Morning Dear Students By: Kenn Nesbit
2. Nicknames By: Kenn Nesbitt
3. Bedtime By: Eleanor Farjeon
4. Hug O' War By: Shel Silverstein
5. The Storm By: Dorothy Aldies
6. Seashell By: James Berry
7. We Bought a Lot of Candy Bars By: Kenn Nesbitt
8. Books Fall Open By: David McCord
9. Your Best By: Barbara Vance
10. Things to Do if You Are a Subway By: Bobbi Katz
11. Eletelophony By: Laura E. Richards
12. Rain Sounds By: Lillian Morrison
13. Dirt on My Shirt By: Harper Collins
14. The Elf and the Dormouse By: Oliver Herford
15. Tiger By: Valerie Worth
16. Zoom Gloom By: Kenn Nesbitt
17. River Winding By: Charlotte Zolotow
18. Galoshes By: Rhoda Bacmeister
19. Open A Book By: Anonymous
20. The Gingerbread Man By: Rowena Bennett
21. Fog By: Carl Sandberg
22. Our Magic Toilet By: Kenn Nesbitt
23. A Good Play By: Robert Louis Stevenson
24. Sing a Song of People By: Lois Lenski
25. Raindrop By: Anonymous
Poetry for kids is very important for social-emotional as well as educational development. With this collection of popular poems, teachers will be able to easily incorporate a poetry activity into their classrooms. Poems enable a supportive classroom environment teaching children how to voice feelings they may not be able to put into words. They are able to build vocabulary and ask questions with teacher guidance.
Poems are a great addition to English Language activities throughout grades but serve a special purpose in 2nd grade. Enjoy this collection of poems in the coming days of school!