As the summer wanes and autumn leaves start to fall, it’s the start of a new school year and the perfect time for reflection and growth. Welcome your students back to the classroom with our thoughtful collection of autumn-themed journal prompts! These prompts will encourage your learners to set goals, express creativity, and explore unique aspects of autumn. So, tap into the seasonal shift with 30 prompts to elicit insightful and meaningful responses!
1. What are three goals you want to achieve this September and why are they important to you?
2. The scent of autumn: Describe what fall would smell like and why it is significant to you.
3. Develop a short narrative of a bird migrating for the fall season.
4. Compose a list of outdoor activities you plan to do this fall and explain why you chose them.
5. Discuss a teacher who had a significant impact on you during a previous school year. How did they influence you?
6. If you were a fall vegetable, which one would you be and why?
7. Which new skill would you like to learn this month? Explain why and how you plan to learn it.
8. Describe your favorite fall clothing item and why you love it.
9. Envision a dialogue between two drops of rain falling on an autumn afternoon.
10. What’s your favorite homemade fall dessert? Discuss why it’s special to you.
11. What’s your favorite thing about football season (or another fall sport)? Explain why.
12. Compose a narrative where the main character gets lost in a corn maze.
13. How do you feel about daylight-saving time ending and why?
14. Discuss a significant academic achievement from last year. How do you plan to build upon that success this year?
15. Describe the sensation of jumping into a pile of fallen leaves.
16. Write about a new habit you would like to cultivate this fall.
17. If you could design a fall-themed amusement park, what would it look like?
18. Write about a family fall tradition that you would like to pass down to future generations.
19. Create a character inspired by the September zodiac signs (Virgo and Libra).
20. If you were to learn a new language this fall, which one would it be and why?
21. Discuss a book you’ve read over the summer that had a significant impact on you.
22. What’s your favorite scarf or hat that you’re excited to wear this fall? Why is it your favorite?
23. Discuss a quote that you came across over the summer that you want to live by this school year.
24. What’s something unexpected you discovered about yourself over the summer?
25. Write about a spontaneous road trip you would take to view the fall foliage.
26. How have you changed as a student compared to last September? Discuss your academic evolution.
27. Choose a word for each letter in “September” that you want to embody this month.
28. Write about an autumn adventure you’d love to go on.
29. Reflect on how you handle time management during the school year and discuss new methods you’d like to implement.
30. Write a welcome note to October, expressing your hopes for the coming month.