Sixth graders are awesome and by sixth- grade kids are becoming fluent readers. It is important for sixth graders to practice correct spelling and language skills so they can become confident readers.
The following lists of sight words will help get you started on helping prepare your sixth grade for seventh-grade reading and writing. The lists are divided into two categories, Dolch Sight Words, and Fry Sight Words. There are also sentence examples and fun activities linked below.
6th Grade Dolch Sight Words
Dolch sight words are essential sight words in the English language. The list below identifies 50 Dolch sight words for sixth-graders. There are more sight words that you can find linked below or online. These are best practiced in sight word activities or by simply reading together.
6th Grade Fry Sight Words
The following list contains Fry Sight Words(#501-600) which are the set for 6th graders. These sight words were identified by Edward Fry, who was a Professor of Education.
As with the Dolch sight words, these are best practiced in learning activities and by reading together.
Examples of Sight Words Used in Sentences
1. Sara ate two eggs for breakfast.
2. I love to go to the beach for summer vacation.
3. We went to the park and saw a beautiful butterfly.
4. The kitchen table was in the shape of a square.
5. The blue sticker fell off of the page.
6. We got Derek a present for his birthday.
7. The fire hydrant is used by the firefighters.
8. Before you make a pizza you must knead the dough.
9. I love to read books before bed.
10. My brother is my best friend.
Sight Word Activities
These fun activities are great for extra practice! In addition to the sight words lists above, you can find some activities below. There are fun spelling exercises, sight word game ideas, and banks of sight words to reference as you plan your learning and lessons. You can also challenge kids to write a funny story using a set number of sight words.
- Sight Words Flash Cards- Made By Teachers
- Editable Sight Word Games- The Kinder Life
- High-Frequency Sight Word Games- Kayse Morris
- Free Spelling Activities- Mrs. Winter's Bliss
- Sixth Grade Spelling Words and Activities- Spelling-Words-Well
- Sixth Grade Reading List- The Surly Housewife
- Sixth Grade Writing Activity- Thrive in Grade Five