STEM stands for science, technology, engineering, and math. This curriculum is designed to pique children's interest in these career fields from a young age.
Classroom STEM activities range from computer programming to making paper airplanes - and everything in between.
STEM challenges are special STEM activities that put children's creative problem-solving skills to the test. Teachers present students with a set of supplies and it's up to the students to figure out to use those supplies to accomplish a specific task.
Students find STEM challenges to be rewarding and fun.
Here are 30 fun third grade STEM challenges your students are sure to enjoy!
1. Make a chain reaction with dominoes and 3 other items.
2. Make a mini basketball hoop with pipe cleaners, cardstock, craft sticks, straws, and tulle.
3. Build the tallest tower possible using spaghetti noodles and marshmallows.
4. Make 1 snowflake that falls quickly and 1 snowflake that falls slowly.
5. Build a tall tower using Hershey's Kisses and card stock.
6. Make a leaf out of paper and fold it into a glider.
7. Design a Hotwheels track out of toilet paper rolls and tape.
8. Build a lava lamp using vegetable oil, food coloring, and Alka-Seltzer.
9. Build the tallest tower possible from toothpicks and playdough.
10. Build a car using a plastic bottle, wooden skewers, straws, and rubber bands. Power it with a balloon.
11. Build your name with Legos.
12. Make a kaleidoscope using an empty chip can, tissue paper, aluminum foil, glitter, and sequins.
13. Use a pool noddle to make a marble run.
14. Fill balloons with different solutions to test their buoyancy. Record your results.
- kiddie pool
- water balloons
- 60ml syringe
- variety of solutions (water, saltwater, cooking oil, juice, etc.)