Classroom management can be tough on both veteran teachers and new teachers. With parenting styles, district rules, beliefs about students, and classroom discipline constantly changing. it's important to always keep up with the times. We've provided a list of 20 books that will help to keep your classroom effective, inviting, and under control. Perfect for elementary teachers and middle school teachers alike!
1. The First Days of School: How to Be an Effective Teacher
By: Harry Wong
This is definitely a top-rated book amongst teachers focused on classroom behavior standards and classroom management components used by thousands of teachers each year.
2. Teaching with Love and Logic Taking Control of the Classroom
By: Jim Fay & Charles Fay
A book filled with an assortment of discipline programs we've seen and have been taught as teachers. Guiding you to take control of any classroom and reminding you that it's all about the love and caring classrooms you bring to your kiddos!
3. Classroom Management That Works
By: Robert J. Marzano
A book filled with tips that are sometimes overlooked in the classroom. If you're having trouble building an elementary classroom environment for student learning or engagement, try to find good tips in this book.
4. Teach Like a Champion 3.0
By: Doug Lemov
A book that fosters student accountability, classroom routines and gives teachers a variety of strategies to hold a strong and engaged classroom. Top choice for students.
5. Setting Limits in the Classroom: How to Move Beyond the Dance of Discipline in the Classroom
By: Jim Fay
A book that helps to foster all of your teaching strategies, while also making sure students stick right along with you. A proper approach to classroom management starts with setting limits and expectations for student behavior.
6. Have you Filled a Bucket Today? A Guide to Daily Happiness for Kids
By: Carol McCloud
A cute story that isn't directly related to classroom management strategies, might help some of those difficult classrooms. Reminding students what makes a happy elementary classroom environment.
7. The Daily 5
By: Gail Boushey
A book that provides real and practiced reading strategies for elementary teachers. These strategies can be implemented at your own pace, with a trial and error style to adapt to each child.
8. Conscious Discipline: 7 Basic Skills of Brain Smart Classroom Management
By: Dr. Becky A. Bailey
A book focused on self-regulation and interpersonal skills - a different aspect of classroom management. Not only for our students but also for us as adults. Teaching and implementing proper self-regulation is a daunting task.
9. Beyond Discipline: From Compliance to Community
By: Alfie Kohn
A book focused on relationships built with students and how to foster those relationships positively. Build a mutual understanding between you, your students, and the classroom community.
10. Tools for Teaching: Discipline, Instruction, Motivation. Primary Prevention of Classroom Discipline Problems
By: Fred Jones
These are real, practical strategies that can be implemented in your classroom learning. Turn classroom chaos into control and learning fostering responsible behavior.
11. Lost and Found: Helping Behaviorally Challenging Students (And, While You're at It, All the Others)
By: Rose W. Greene
Get to bottom of student behavior through this read. A classroom management resource from a new perspective for middle schools and elementary classroom management effort.
12. Discipline Without Stress, Punishments or Rewards
By: Marvin Marshall
A practical blueprint for teachers who feel rewards and punishments are their only open for high levels of student attention - check out these classroom management skills.
13. Positive Discipline in the Classroom
By: Jane Nelson
Aspects of classroom management to enhance positive classroom procedures and classroom practices will help break down barriers to student success, hopefully keeping your kiddos on track and your classroom inviting.
14. Punished by Rewards: The Trouble with Gold Stars, Incentive Plans, A's, Praise and Other Bribes
By: Alfie Kohn
A book embracing the discomfort we've been taught our entire lives. Completely changing behaviour in class and classroom culture.
15. The First Six Weeks of School
By: Paula Denton
A great classroom resource to follow as a first-year teacher. An aspect of classroom management that will enhance the entirety of the classroom experience. It is also a great refresher for experienced teachers.
16. Running the Room: The Teacher's Guide to Behaviour
By: Tom Bennett
A book full of compassion helping to build caring classrooms filled with academic success and high levels of student attention. This book will help you build a positive environment in any classroom.
17. The Power of Our Words: Teacher Language That Helps Children Learn
By: Paula Denton
Build nonconfrontational rapport by reading The Power of Our Words. This book will help with positive relationship building and remind us of the influence as classroom professionals our words have.
18. Better Learning Through Structured Teaching: A Framework for the Gradual Release of Responsibility
By: Douglas Fisher
A comprehensive overview that will help with a structured teaching technique and classroom model. Hoping to build an engaged classroom and change classroom behaviour.
19. Discipline Strategies for the Classroom; Working with Students
By: Ruby K. Payne
Setting a tone and building a strong classroom community is super important for new teachers. Working with Students will help you do just that and enhance student engagement.
20. The Teacher's Pocket Guide for Effective Classroom Management
By: Kim Knoster
A book filled with classroom experience and a classroom management plan that can be constantly referenced by teachers of any experience level.